Sunday, September 13, 2015

Getting some decks done

Now that I'm ready to paint the end compartments, I figured it was a good time to get the decks and cabin top/ends ready to roll.  I can get the under side of those painted while I have it out for the compartments.  I'm actually going to paint the main cabin interior later after I've located all of the hardware and such.  It's pretty roomy and I'll have the slot top to stand up in.

I started with the foredeck and cabin front.






The center opening in the cabin is going to be a plexiglass drop board.  the cabin top itself is only @ 4ft long, so I'll have one big hatch that lifts off that i can bungee down from the inside if it gets really rough.  I'll also be able to slide it forward or aft to make an opening.  Jim had this as all fixed windows with a traditional aft entry and sliding hatch.  I didn't see any good way to get to the foredeck that way, and this was my solution.  I wrote Jim about it and he thought it made the boat a better design, provided I have a good way to secure that hatch.  In nice weather I can pull both ends and the top and be well ventilated.

Next was the aft deck and aft cabin.


I'm going to be 16" wide on the slot, the top of the fore opening and all the way down at the aft.  Jim actually drew this a little wider, but I wanted to maximize the seaworthiness with the hatches off.  I made sure my coolers and my honey and gut would go through no problem.  This leaves @ 14-1/2" minimum from cabin side to slot.  She draws 8" at design loading, but the bottom is wider than the sides.  Hopefully she floats at design weight over 90 without the water reaching any hatch openings.

I'm thinking of dropping the aft hatch opening as well as the (2) front fixed windows a little lower for better visibility from inside.  This shouldn't effect safety at all.  I'll leave the front center high as the lines from the mast and the air vent sit below that window.  Mast obstructs that view to some extent anyway as well.

she's starting to really show her end form.











No comments:

Post a Comment