Tuesday, March 10, 2015

First layer of bottom on

So I got the chine logs all glued up and a bunch of planing done to bring everything square and fare.  Got the First layer of 1/2" on and pulled the boat into square with it.  I was pretty worried that I'd gotten the thing somehow badly distorted, but it all came into line nicely.

I gotta say I was shopping routers to trim that bottom off flush to the chines.  Truth be told though, i spent some time sharpening up the pile of planes i bought at at a garage sale @ 1.5 years ago, and it was actually kind of a pleasure to take it down with those.  Found some new muscles in my shoulders, but they really did a nice job.

3 more sheets of ply and I'll have the second layer of bottom on and all of the decking and hatches.  It's time to order up some fiberglass and resin from RAKA.  I really need to fill all of the screw head holes and such on the first layer before i nail the second one down.  I also think the resin with the adhesive filler is going to be the best laminating glue for me.  I could do it with the PL Premium, but the stuff is pretty viscous and it would be tough to get that much area even and flat and then have the ply lay down tight.

I'm wondering if I should flip her and work on the interior while i wait for it to get here or just leave it bottom up until I have the bottom done and glassed along with the chines, maybe even the paint on it. be nice to have the bottom at full strength before i go playing on the inside.


really starting to look like a boat.


All by plane with just a light pass with the mouse sander


just a few passes with the plane and this joint is nice and level. There was a small peak in spots from nailing the two halves on separately.




All flushed up and ready to trace the next layer of ply.

3 comments:

  1. "Full strength?" Surely you jest! Nothing you could do on the inside would disturb a half-inch of ply--particularly one with so much curvature. Even so, it would be nice to be done with the bottom. This is gonna be one heavy boat, though. If you're not depending on chine runners, why do you want the boat that heavy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim designed it that heavy. he wanted the weight down low for ballast effect. It was also part of the original design brief that it be built hell for stout. The single layer isn't as quite as stout as you might think in the center part of the boat. there's a fat 7ft between bulkheads at the cabin along with an area toward the middle of it with minimal curvature. just getting the second layer on without glass will make it four times as strong/stiff thanks to the wonders of physics. I'm @ 200lbs, so I like the idea of that when it's only going to be supported at points instead of everywhere lie when it's in the water.

      Delete
  2. 4 times as strong, 8 times as stiff

    ReplyDelete