Monday, August 14, 2017

No wind, so breaking in the Honda 2.3

Sorry there hasn't been much here lately, I've been working a lot and been having some truck issues so I couldn't tow the boat.  I've been playing with little details to fine tune the rig and sailing position.  I've moved ballast forward, re-rigged my lazyjacks to make them more useful, went to a smaller diameter mainsheet for less friction, etc.

The truck is finally all done and dependable, so I hitched up the boat and headed down to the multnomah channel of the willamette river.  No wind.  Not a problem, I'd purchased the new Honda 2.3 and it needed more breaking hours at low speed.  The video below is a quickie with the iPhone.  Throttle position is @ 1/4 to 1/3, and was getting me 4+ knots.  I ran for over 1.5 hours without having to add gas to the tank.  Not bad for a 15 foot displacement hull with @ 13' in the water.




Just as I got back to the ramp and was loading up, a front moved in with LOTS of wind, probably too much :-)  I sure like this little honda.  The boat makes a fine little mini trawler with it.

5 comments:

  1. Tom,
    Thanks for your great documentation on this boat. I have a couple questions.

    I see that it has a thick 1" bottom. When sailing into a chop or crossing a boat wake, does the bottom tend to pound or shake the boat? Or does it feel pretty solid?

    I'm also curious about the stability. If you tried to sit on the side of the cabin top, would the boat capsize or just heel somewhat?

    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's definitely noise as it's a flat bottom, but no structural concern. If the boat is heeled under sail, it's of course much less prevalent as you're now presenting the 90 degree chine to the chop.

    Don't sit on the cabin top :-) she's plenty stage enough to step center on the aft deck and step down into the cabin. The ballast on the bottom is about 200lbs, so if you sat on the cabin top you'd probably get thrown in the water and watch the boat jump back upright with your spitting water and staring at it.

    I also don't have stability trouble stretching out of the cabin onto the aft deck to operate the motor.

    You can stand in the slot no problem in lighter winds.

    If you're down low like you should be in higher winds, the initial heel to 10-15 degrees happens rather easily then she stiffens up pretty quick.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, it's about what I expected on both counts. A long time ago I had a WW Potter, a good boat in many ways, but going into a chop or across a wake she'd often pound enough to shake the whole boat disconcertingly.

      Robbsboat appeals as it has some similarities with the Paradox, but a much easier build. I gather you're still happy with the boat?

      My wife and I spend summers near Corvallis. If you get down to Fern Lake sometime, I'd love to go for a sail with you.

      Thanks again,
      David

      Delete
  3. I still like the boat, yes. I actually do get down to fern Ridge with the Coots a few times a year. They're a local chapter of the TSCA. Happy to take you out for a sail if we run into each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the update. That stinks when you have truck problems but glad to see you posting again. Thanks for sharing the wonderful video. Have a great rest of your day.
    Greg Prosmushkin

    ReplyDelete