Saturday, May 7, 2016

getting the sail finished up this weekend

So Friday night I got home and I hand stitched  at the tack, clew, peak and head.  Sewed through the rope into the tarp for several inches each direction.  I was getting ready to throw on the reinforcement tape, and realized this thing was only 8 ft away.  All I needed was the right needle and thread to stick in it.


Saturday I stopped by the sewing store to pick up the needles and thread.  I also picked up a bunch of bobbins I could preload cause I knew one wasn't coming close to going all the way around that sail.  Spent a few hours in the the afternoon refreshing my memory of how to rig the machine, loading the bobbins and sewing the sail.   Now it's ready to tape the corners.


The dark stitching was what was done with the hand awl.  the brass thingy is an old poker handle, and excellent for pressuring tape down.  the flange on the small end does tight areas and the crease at the rope reinforcement nicely.


I suck as a seamstress.  Structurally fine though.  Below is the first corner after tape reinforcement.




All the corners done and ready for grommets in the morning.  This sail is going to hang tomorrow before i head to Mom's for mother's day.  You can see the rounding past the spars.




I can't wait to get up.



No comments:

Post a Comment