Sunday, May 8, 2016

Sail raised for the first time.

Sunday morning, woke up at 6:30 for no good reason other than this was the day I was going to finally see the boat with it's actual rig.  Got up, got the dog to the park, grabbed an early lunch on the way home and dived into installing all of the grommets.  I went with 12" spacing at both the yard and the boom



The Zip ties were a pack I had laying in the shop.  They're for indoor use and will need to be replaced with either lacing or some UV rated ties.  I threw a pretty good stretch with the end ties and then took all if the intermediaries pretty snug, but slidable along the spars.

 I lashed a block to the yard at Jim's suggested 40% up the yard, grabbed some line for a quick and dirty downhaul and ran her up the yard.


In the picture below was the initial hoist with all of the rake Jim designed into the rig.  The way I trimmed the sail down to @ 113 ft2, I moved the CE Back and shortened the boom.  I built the step to where I can take it almost vertical by moving one block.  I went ahead and moved it to bring the whole rig forward, and to my eye it's much closer to proper balance.






Not a lot of wind, but enough to show me that the head of the sail was shaping nicely.  the foot was bunching up.  I cut all of the intermediary ties on the foot and made her essentially loose footed, and the shape got much nicer.  I built the boom quite a bit stiffer than plan with this possibility in mind.  It's nice to be able to change the draft of your sail with foot tension.

The only other real problem I had was getting the final bit of hoist.  I left a pretty long tail on the lashing to the block, and it really kept me from sucking the yard right up to the mast, meaning the mast was crossing forward of where I would like.  I'll need modify/adjust this to get the block much closer to the yard.


Overall happier than a pig in shit.


No comments:

Post a Comment