Monday, July 18, 2016

Hagg Lake with the Coots and ghosting conditions. Honda 2.3hp testing.

Last Sunday I made it out for the third trip.  I went alone for the first time now that I had a dependable motor, bolted in permanent ballast, 3 major reefs available, lazyjacks to simplify sail handling and re-rigged parrels that work better and are easier to operate.

I joined the Oregon Coots for their Hagg lake Messabout.  Hagg lake apparently is known for having pretty decent wind a lot of the time.  Not Sunday, it was basically ghosting conditions.  Of course.

This was probably where I should have started testing the boat in the first place, especially considering the reefing situation early on.  The gorge did put me on the fast track to rig improvement and control I gotta tell ya.

An overcast but pleasant day, and a 100% stress free sail where I really got to run around the boat and check things out.  I even remembered the decent camera and had the time to use it.

A few videos for you enjoyment.  What really pleased me was that I had the first reef tied in on arrival, and just left it in because what a perfect day to see how much sail I needed up in really light conditions.  Full sail is 120ft2, down already from the 138ft2 on the drawing that even Jim thinks is too big.  The first reef takes it down to @ 95ft2, which is close to the full sail she probably really ought to have.

I pretty much kept up with a weekender that had full main and jib up.  There was also what I believe is a March Grumpecht 12' Glider rowing catamaran the Jim Pettycrew has mounted a sprit boom leg O mutton and a jib, and I pretty much kept up with those guys even dragging the Honda prop.

Around here at least, I think a well shaped 100-110ft2 would be all anyone would ever really need on this boat.

When the wind took a major lull, I did around a 5 minute video of running the new 2.3hp Honda on slow until I got out of the no wake zone, then zipped her up near full throttle for a bit and then turned back into my own wake.  That little motor MOVES this boat.  My 2hp 2-stroke evinrude is lighter, smaller and can tilt out of the water way easier.  The centrifugal clutch and nice steady idle in neutral is so much nicer than the direct drive.  And I don't have to mix gas.








It was a great day, learned a little more about the boat.  I've got to get some more weight forward.  If I sit where tiller and mainsheet are comfortable, she trims bow up.  On a multi day trip I can probably load enough water and heavy gear forward to balance the boat.  For light daysailing solo, I might end up having to helm from a bit forward, which is why I ran a steer loop around the boat.  Works well, but best with two hands on the rope.  Need to come up with a way to belay the main sheet farther forward.  Aft I can wrap a loop or two around the tiller as I hold it.

I'll have this camera every time out now.  I'll definitely put up stuff in varying wind strengths.

My boat made me happy again.



No comments:

Post a Comment