Sunday, November 29, 2015

Starting to play with the windows

so a few posts back I showed some plexiglass that I found on Craig's list dirt cheap.  It was tinted bronze, 4'x5.5', 1/4" thick.  I got it for 20.00 per sheet.  I started measuring and cutting windows to shape.  Good thing I had some cheap material to practice on




Got that angle wrong :-)

I also played with polishing edges and trying to remove scratches.  There's also some kind of black silicone or some such residue along a lot of the edges.  Looks like this stuff is going to end up just being practice material for my first time ever playing with sheet acrylic, and I'll probably end up with some good patterns for tracing onto some stuff bought brand new.  Turns out I can buy what I need from TAP for @ $150.00 total.

I'm staying with the Acrylic, not going Lexan.  It's optically clearer, much more resistant to all the chemicals it could come into contact with, and scratches CAN be polished out.  I'd just need to polish every square inch of the stuff I've already bought.  Oh yeah, It's much cheaper than the Lexan.  Some will argue the Lexan is stronger, but honestly the Acrylic is plenty strong enough in the right thickness.  Here's the look from inside.



 I've been reading up on how different people have attached the windows.  I really don't want to look at lots of little bolts as well as try to keep them sealed and avoid cracking the Acrylic.  I saw a method using special 2 sided tape and silicone without any fasteners, but wasn't too enthused.  I've decided to frame them in on the exterior using a frame made of 2 layers of 1/4" marine ply.  the outer layer will be @ 1-1/2" wide, the inner layer will be 3/4" wide.  I'll put the windows up "temporarily" with the 2 sided tape, then install the framing on the exterior covering the edge of the Acrylic and shooting screws from the outside that will hit the dimensional lumber you can see on the interior above.  I'll leave room for the acrylic to expand and contract inside this framer.  I'll use latex caulk between farm and window, framer and boat and around frame exterior.  there will be a couple of spots I'll need to thru bolt where there's no lumber, but it should be very clean.  If a window is damaged it's easily disassembled for pane replacement.  latex caulk is easily freshened up and painted.  I now don't have to worry about having nice edges on the panes either, they'll all be hidden.

I'll end up splitting the long side windows into for and aft panes.

supposed to get wet and warm later this week.  I'm going to have to make a real effort to get help to drag the boat off the trailer and flip it for bottom paint.  I REALLY want to get that done before I Install the windows for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment