Monday, April 18, 2016

Alternative Propulsion Plans

So the wind will occasionally die or I'll need to get off a beach or dock before being able to raise the sail.  This is NOT a design well suited to paddling or rowing.  That leaves motors and sculling.

I've reinforced the port side transom to take a motor mount for my little 2hp evinrude.  I'm still shopping/condsidering custom fabrication of that motor mount.  Everything "on the shelf" is way to heavy and bulky and rated for 15hp.  I'll probably end up making that myself.

More immediately I need the sculling option.  It would also help to have a separate mount for the 24lb thrust minkota I already own.  I've already got at least one newer group 24 deep cycle and I've already installed the battery boxes.  between that and a sculling oar I can take my time on the 2hp mount.

Here's what I came up with to mount on the transom.  The notch fits the shafts on the 8' oars I have in my Pelican until I can build something custom in the way of a Yuloh.  height and width match what's needed to mount the minkota.


It will mount on the Starboard side transom and allow me to scull standing in the aft end of the slot.  Hopefully  The shaft on the Trolling motor is long enough that I can hang it on here as well.







Trolling motor is too short unless they make surface piercing props for Minkota.  I'll have to see if there's a longer length shaft motor I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment