Wednesday, August 12, 2015

95% Leeboarded

Got to work on the lower pivot guard.  Found an old doug Fir stud with nice tight grain that actually measured 1-5/8" thick.  Score :-)  Traced the curve like I did with the upper guard, and after I had a good fit there I transferred the inside edge of the slot in the upper guard using my centerline straight edge again.  Cut that on the table saw, then traced onto some 1/4" real marine ply I just happened to have floating around.  Glued and clamped onto the upper and lower faces, the took every thing down flush with a plane.   Smoothed and rounded with the 4" grinder and mouse sander.  Found a 1/4" bolt/washer/wingnut combo long enough to temporarily clamp it in place and leveled it to the bash wale.  Sighting down through the slot, The alignment looks great.  I can always massage the slot if needed.

Getting all of this right was one of my biggest concerns on the boat.  I'm REALLY happy how it all came out.




No comments:

Post a Comment