Thursday, August 6, 2015

Wales and Details

Well I've got my momentum back.

I finished off the Wales.  The boat was stout before, but now it feels like a little destroyer.  I'm considering painting it battleship gray and giving it a PT boat number.




The pressure from the sides and wales were actually starting to bow the top of the rear cabin bulkhead.  Jim has a sistering piece of 1x4 on the top of both these bulk heads that give the cabin front and back something to land on as well as strengthen the mast partner and the rear deck where your foot will land all the time getting in the boat.  I got those beveled and glued in as well.


I've owned a beach chair for quite a while that I though might make a good helm seat for this boat.  Had to try it out.  My head ends up at the perfect height.  This is going to be one comfy boat to sail.




Jim shows a tiller that extends into the cockpit past the rear cabin bulkhead.  This is run internally of course.  Sitting in the chair confirmed my suspicion that it will be well worth the effort to stop the till short of the bulkhead and install a Layden style steering loop in the cabin.  I'll have an extension I can slip into the tiller if needed.  The other thing I need to figure out is how to route/anchor the mainsheet in the cabin for this sitting position.

Once I get the pulley system installed for the loop steering, the dimensional lumber mast partner installed, and a Bow eye well anchored and reinforced, I can paint the end compartments and put the decks on.  I'm actually starting to see the finish line.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know about stability of this boat under sail. Will you be sitting on centerline, or mostly sideways with weight to windward for balance, as I do in my Jewelbox Jr. (a much lighter hull, though), and use the tiller. I seem to recall Paradox sailors tend to sit (when sailing under cover) sort of slumped in aft windward corner.

    ReplyDelete