Saturday, August 8, 2015

Leeboard Gaurds

One of the things I've been sweating is getting a good fit on the leeboard guards and keeping them parallel to the centerline at the same time.  Turned out to not be so bad.  I screwed down some 1x2 with one end dead on the centerline marked on the bulkheads.  then I did the math to figure out where the outside edge of the top guard was going to be in relation to the side of the boat.  I had a couple of 8ft long trim pieces with the factory edge on the 1/2 " ply, so I clamped that down and squared it off to the centerline.


Then I did the math for a rectangular blank for the top guard, marked the pivot point on the boat and on the blank.  I also marked both ends of the guard on the boat.  I slid it up until it was kissing the boat at the high point and squared it off to the factory edge on the ply.  The I scripted the curve onto the ply.  Cut it with the little skill saw, and it only to a little work with the block plane and sandpaper to flush and square it up nice.


This was only a single 1/2" layer, so i used it for a template on another scrap piece and traced it.  Cut it out, spread the PL Premium carefully and clamped the bejeezus out of it.  Jim Specifies 1" thick ply.  Once I glue and screw it to the boat, I can fair up any errors by checking the alignment of the slot the same way before I cut it.  Then I'll use the inside edge of the slot to scribe the cut on the lower pivot guard to make sure they're dead parallel.

It was actually easy.






No comments:

Post a Comment