Saturday, August 15, 2015

Elevating my work.

A request to bring my build down to the Port of Toledo boat show got me looking harder at my trailer solution.  I ended up not getting it together in time for the show, and we ended up having more rain than I wanted to tow an unfinished boat through on the day i would have had to drive down anyway.  I drove out to Oregon city to look at a drift boat trailer.  They seem the perfect solution for a flat bottom boat with a lot of rocker.......

It was over priced crap.

Now I have a little 1100lb rated PWC trailer that's just a little too narrow between the wheels.  Didn't really want to jack the boat up over the wheels, and didn't see a clean way to do it without some metal fabrication.  Sometimes the simplest crap escapes us.  I loosened the clamps on the existing bunk bards and slid them out towards the rails.  The are riding on V shaped crossbars. Out and UP they came.  Top of them now JUST clear the fenders.  Why did this take so long to see?




Now I can get under the wales to chisel off glue squeeze and sand without crawling around on my knees.  It really puts the boat at a nice height for a lot of the work left.  Best of all I can roll it outside now for glassing and sanding.  The continuous dust bowl in the shop the last couple of months is getting old.  Clean it up, and then a little sawing, disc grinder and sanding and it's covered again.

Lee board looks huge on the side of the boat :-)  using the 4% rule, the leeboard alone matches up to the design 138ft2 of sail.  I'm only putting @ 100ft2 on here because the winds where I'll be are usually either strong or gone.  That's how much is on the Paradox, and it's a similar size and weight.  I'll probably being playing with some different leeboard sizes and shapes.  Jim talks about this in one of his newsletters.

No comments:

Post a Comment