Friday, August 28, 2015

Details before painting inside and putting the deck on

So it's obviously going to be much easier to paint the end compartments before i put the deck on.  I'll also want the bow eye and the rudder hardware mounted while I can easily reach in with the backup wrench.  I wanted to get a layer of glass on the stem and the bottom of the transom, so I laid that cloth.


After a couple of coats of resin set up on the cloth, I trimmed and sanded.  Then I mixed up some resin and 407 fairing compound and started hitting screw heads and fairing the weave of the cloth a bit.



The last thing I wanted to get done before sanding down the fairing putty and starting in with the primer and paint in the end compartments is get the inspection hatch put into the forward buoyancy compartment.  Jim shows this getting filled with foam, but i didn't want to just foam and seal it.  Seems like a good place to get rot started that way.  I also want access with a backup wrench for the bow eye and any other through bolts I might decide to put in front of that bulkhead.  I'll stuff as many empty plastic bottles as i can in there through the hatch after the fact.  I'll leave it open when the boat's not in use so air can get in and moisture out.





I'll finish fairing the stem so I can prime and paint that before putting the bow eye in for good.  I'll also fair and paint the transom so I can bolt up the gudgeons as well for the last time.  With that done and the two forward as well as the aft compartment painted, I can put on the foredeck and the aft deck after pre-painting the bottoms.  With the slot top and no windows, the main cabin interior won't be bad to do later.  I can keep detailing it and paint it later.  I'm hemming and hawing about where to glue in mounts for the battery box.  I've also got to drill for the leeboard control line(s?) to bring them into the cabin.  I've also got to decide my final routing for the main sheet aft.

I'm getting really close to closing her up and doing the entire paint job.



2 comments:

  1. Duckworks has a nice small stainless outboard bracket.
    You going to put a capping piece on the stem to round it off ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the bracket lead, i'll go check that out. No, I'm not adding any stem piece on the exterior. I put an extra block on the interior where the bow eye goes through though to help spread the load. It's not too obvious in the photos, But i've actually rounded the stem pretty well with the sander as she sits. Left just enough of a flat for the washer for the bow eye to ride on.

    ReplyDelete