Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Back to glue indecision.  In cruising a few of the forums more intently focused on glue, all of the "old" boys are really pushing the titebond over PL premium.  This sent me over to the manufacturer's sites to look up the specs on all of the glues.  Sure enough, I was testing at 45 degrees, and titebond III is not supposed to be used under 47 degrees.  To compound the situation, the bottle has been in my garage through a summer and winter, and so it's been beyond the recommended storage temperatures.

The PL premium gives testing data for gluing frozen lumber together.  it's pretty temperature insensitive.  The ultimate strength for dry doug fir is 800psi.  Titebond III is apparently @ 4,000psi.  What crosses my mind is how I'm going to load a bulkhead doubler or a chine that high.  The one place I'm going to spend real money on this boat and flirt with my chemical sensitivity is epoxy sheeting the bottom and sides with the extra layers of tape on the chine.  This is mostly for abrasion resistance, but it's gong to add substantial strength to the stem and chines as well.

I've never been a cabinet maker.  I became one fine sheet metal worker, and can do a really good job on basic carpentry.  I fear my ability to make lots of really tight joints as well as my clamp count to get the clamping pressure required for properly applying the Titebond.  I wonder what the clamping pressure provided by a drywall screw is, and how often they really need to be spaced to achieve it.

This is my first build.  Things I make like sail, leeboard, rudder, hardware, mast, etc... can always be used in a second build using superior materials and an improved skill set.  It looks like the material bill for the "disposable" hull is going to land in the $800.00 range, depending on how much glass and cloth I slather onto it.  Is that an acceptable financial risk to me to gamble on the glue i can just keep building with and not have to wait for spring, or at least run out for mad glue sessions whenever the temp comes up far enough for long enough to run out and use the preferred glue of my peers?  If I time that wrong, I'm in worse shape.

I think I just talked myself into the PL premium again.  The boat should last at least long enough to prove if it's the design for me.  If I truly love it I can send Jim another fee and go buy the pretty marine ply, the epoxy, and possibly find someone to apply the epoxy if the sensitivity becomes too much of an issue.

Better get back to my day job to pay for all this.....

No comments:

Post a Comment