Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Sides laid out, time to cut and Butt (sounds like a dance...)

Got the to aft side panels laid out today.  did them end for end/mirror image at the same time just like the front ones to make sure i got a left and a right.  Once again I came up within 1/8" on the bottom curves, and within 1/4" on the heights of all of the bulkheads shown on the plans.



I'm Going to screw the two aft panels together and saw them out at the same time with my 4" Porter Cable skill saw.  I'll spend  quite a bit of time making sure the blade is dead on 90 degrees before i cut.  I'll do the same with the fronts.

After they're all cut, I'll butt the fore and arts together before fairing.  the burr edge is 42" long thanks to landing in the cabin and the peak of the bottom curve.  I've also got the sheer line being dead straight and the exact same level for and aft to use as a reference line for alignment.  it should be no trouble getting things glued up straight.  After the glue is dry, I'll screw the two full side together and break out the sanding equipment to fair everything together, and i should end up with a really nice match.  After that's done, i'll have the finish heights for all of my bulkheads and transom so i can build them to match exactly.

I'm definitely just butting up with a board on the inside.  I've been watching the ring nail discussion on the deform, and I think I'll lay the panels flat on the floor, goober on the glue and nail them from the inside out.  This avoids any holes on the exterior.  I also want good access to line these up because they're interrupted at the chine stringer (Thanks for getting back to me so quick on that one Jim), so they'll be going on in 2 pieces.  If I properly align a 1x6 (3/4 x 5-1/2) the butt board will actually align the temporary mold for me when it comes time to stick it all together.

I grabbed one of the nice 3/4x1-1/2 doug fir chine logs I found and went to bend it around the bottom curve with the 1-1/2" side flat to the side panel as Jim specifies

Problem.  NO WAY is that stick gonna take that bend without a steam box.  I figure Jim doesn't expect us to build steam boxes.  I'm thing I' going to make a change here and go with something like a 1x1.  It was my hope to put both the sheer stringer (No problems here, dead straight in the tough dimension, able to take the bend of the sides no problem in the small dimension.  I checked!) and the chine log on the sides before cutting the notches in the bulkheads and bending the sides on.   I'm sure of one thing now, and that's the fact that the chines are definitely getting tape and epoxy to back up the glue and screws (or ring nails) on the chine logs.  the glue and nailing meat is gonna be less than I'd hope for to get these suckers to bend into place.  Maybe if I leave the off and bent them in after the sides and bulkhead are in place, I can torture them far enough.  Or maybe the steambox idea, PL premium likes moisture :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment