Friday, January 23, 2015

The Aft sections have been cut

So I got done working and the dog around the block in time to head out and run the saw for a bit.  I double checked my layout and angle on my saw, made one more lap with the flat hammer to align the sheets and shot the screws to keep them aligned.  Pulled the trigger and about 20 minted later had made all of my cuts.  I had one inside angle (where the aft of the cabin meets the sheer) I had to finish will my little pull saw to avoid an over cut with the skill saw.  I love that little saw, it really lets me crowd the lines with very little fear of going over.  it's got plenty of power to go through the 1" of plywood it had to cut.

Here's the end product.  this is the "down" side that had me wondering about the angle of my saw and the quality of my layout.


I'm thrilled.  I had almost the exact saw clearance to the lines, and didn't cross inside of them on either piece.  Well, cutting the curve of the bottom i took out the line more than i wanted, but I'm going to be VERY close to the curve that Jim drew.  I might end up robbing 1/4" of inside vertical clearance sanding the curve fair.  This assumes i do as well on the forward half later today/this evening.




I set up my old HI8 tape video camcorder to record the process.  Turns out all of my current computers are too new to talk to it.  I'll have to abscond with my old Toshiba laptop I've been letting our shop foreman use on his bench to get the video uploaded.  I should have that done by this weekend for any other Newbie boat builders to see how quick and easy this was with the right saw.  The trick is very careful layout and alignment.  measure 6 times, cut once :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment