Sunday, January 25, 2015

Pays to read the fine print

So here I am assuming that the boat is designed at 48" wide.  Closer inspection of the plans and bulkhead dimensions reveal the fact that the width of the temporary mold at the widest point is only 45".  Add an inch for the 1/2" ply on each side, and you have an O.D. of 46".  There's a whole 1" of ply on each side to spare, so the chine logs can easily go to the outside at no extra cost and a lot of labor and headache savings.  I could actually do this with the sheer stringer as well, let and the butt strap be continuous from the bottom to the framing for the cabin top.  This would sure make it easier to bend the ply around the bulkhead as both log chine and sheer could be installed AFTER the boat goes 3D, and saves me 8 notches to fit.  I'll also have my butt joint "clamped" at two good spots.

Owner design modification #1 has been self approved :-)

1 comment: