Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cutting Bulkheads and a first lamination

So another slow day at work.  Unseasonably warm in Portland right now, and the furnace Biz just isn't that bizzy.

I stopped by the home depot and picked up some warm tubes of PL Premium 3X, the stoutest caulking gun I could find and bought a few more clamps.

Got back to the house and slapped the last piece of ply I'd already bought up onto the sawhorses and cut out all of the blanks for the permanent bulkheads and the transom.  I took the measurements for the heights off the side panels instead of the plans, and everything was within 1/8".  God that's a good feeling.


I had a little energy left not to mention warm glue and a new gun to put it in, so i cut out the leeboard halves and glued them up.  The leeboard is 60" x 20",  and i was interested to see him many tubes i'd burn.  I'm still wondering what i want to use between the two layers of bottom, that's acres of glue area.  I started by cutting open the tube I'd hacksawed and used a squeegee to spread was was @ 1/3 of a tube on.  Not even close to enough.  Grabbed a new tube, stuff it in the new gun and whack the end off full diameter for maximum splooge.  did a lap all the way around the perimeter, the a second lap inside of that one.  Broke out the squeegee again and did some more spreading and got a nice 3" band well saturated on the perimeter.  had a nice 4" side stripe down the middles as well.  Called it good enough and clamped her up.


Called it a day.  I'm going to end up glassing the edges anyway, only fear is water getting into where there's no glue.  Not that much of a fear, It would be really easy to whip out a new leeboard if this one fails somehow.  

I AM wondering what I'm going to use for a bottom lamination.  the bottom is 3 times as long and roughly twice as wide.  Need to fine something fairly strong and idiot proof that also is somewhat water proof and doesn't require loads of clamping pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment