Saturday, January 17, 2015

The first Plywood lands in the shop



Well I got done playing with the glue, and I have to say that the PL premium won.  The one drawback is going to be dealing with the squeeze out, but I'm amazed at how good that stuff grabs.  I'm tempted to leave out all of the screws.

I picked up my first load of lumber Friday afternoon.  The suns was out and rain was forecast for Saturday, so i squeezed it into my day.





Saturday I hit home depot for some more fluorescent bulbs to get more light in the shop. I decided I was going to layout the bow pieces end to end or "mirror" at the same time to 100% avoid making two of the same side.  Also, it seems simpler that once i determine a point for one side, to run right over to the other while it's still fresh to mark it on the other.  I laid out all of my station lines, the sheer line and the top of the cabin.  I'm going to stack them for a cut after very carefully setting my little 4" Porter cable skill saw to a 90 degree angle.  This small wall is very easy to control, and i should be able to crowd the lines pretty close leaving a minimum of fair to the actual lines.




I'm also going to take some videos and upload them to youtube.  Here's the first one.




I tried using one of my long 1x2 chine logs for a batten to lay out the bottom curve, but it's way too stiff.  Hopefully the box stores will have something i can use, other wise Sunday is a bust for much until I can get back to a decent lumber yard.  


No comments:

Post a Comment